2019 Cabernet Sauvignon
Similar to the 2017 vintage, 2019 commenced significantly later than the long-term norm and extended through to the end of April. Mild, cooler weather during late 2018 was beneficial for vine growth and an atypical heavy rain event in mid-January bought a recharge to the soil water just when needed. This was followed by fine, mild weather to get the vintage underway until mid-vintage when there were some minor rain events and humidity. Luckily, this was followed by beautiful weather until the end of April.
The Cabernet Sauvignon fruit was picked on the 12th April 2019.
The grapes are static fermented and pumped over 2 – 3 times per day with 11 days on skins to achieve a brightly-fruited wine with good flesh and a refined tannin profile. 16 months in French barriques, 35% of which were new.
The final blend is 98% Cabernet Sauvignon and 2% Malbec.
The wine was bottled in December 2021 and sealed under screwcap closure.
• The nose displays a wide range of fruits; reds to blues to blacks
• Spicy and leafy aromas give way to chestnut notes with respectful oak
• The generous mid palate shows redcurrant, blueberry and blackberry
• Hints of cardamom and a pleasing campfire smoke provide backend structure
• Long term ageing available for this elegant wine