2019 The Mallee Root
Similar to the 2017 vintage, 2019 commenced significantly later than the long-term norm and extended through to the end of April. Mild, cooler weather during late 2018 was beneficial for vine growth and an atypical heavy rain event in mid-January bought a recharge to the soil water just when needed. This was followed by fine, mild weather to get the vintage underway until mid-vintage when there were some minor rain events and humidity. Luckily, this was followed by beautiful weather until the end of April.
The fruit was picked in the last two weeks of April 2019.
On delivery to the winery, the fruit is hand-plunged in open top fermenters, in small batches. Spending 7 – 8 days on skins gives the wine good flesh and bright fruit. It is then barrel aged in French oak for 16 months, with a secondary fermentation occurring in the barrel.
The final blend is 73% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Petit Verdot and 7% Cabernet Franc.
• A youthful vibrancy with spice and a hint of leaf on the nose
• A nutty, charry oak aroma in the background
• Mulberry, plum and blackcurrant with a sliver of licorice
• Smooth back-end oak structure binds the wine together
• Immediately accessible and made in a ready-to-drink style