2018 Cabernet Malbec (The Mallee Root)
The 2018 vintage in Margaret River presented us with close to ideal growing conditions for wine grapes. The temperatures and rainfall were remarkably close to average for the season. It was very typical of Margaret River’s Mediterranean climate with a cool, wet winter and a mild, dry summer.
The rain which fell in December was well timed, filling soil profiles leading into veraison. Over January the Marri blossom was out in all its glory, which kept bird pressure at a minimum. The dry conditions meant the fruit was in perfect condition and picking decisions were able to be made to optimise quality. All of the chardonnay fruit for our wine was picked on 22nd February 2018.
On delivery to the winery, the fruit is hand-plunged in open top fermenters, in small batches. Spending 7 – 14 days on skins gives the wine good flesh and bright fruit. It is then barrel aged in French oak for 16 months. The final blend is 52% Cabernet Sauvignon, 32% Malbec and 15% Petit Verdot
• Luscious ripe berry fruits of raspberry, mulberry, blackcurrant and blueberry
• Plum, dark cherry and highlights of caramel and vanilla oak.
• As you’d expect from the aromas, the palate delivers ripe, juicy and succulent fruit
• Harmoniously balanced with fine savoury tannins and a mouth-watering finish
• The hint of dark chocolate makes it such a satisfying drop!