The chardonnay vineyard at Victory Point was planted in 2001 and has never been irrigated.
Approximately one third of the vineyard is planted with the Gin Gin clone and the remaining two thirds evenly spread between the Dijon clones 76, 95, 96 & 277.
Similar to the 2017 vintage, 2019 commenced significantly later than the long-term norm and extended through to the end of April. Mild, cooler weather during late 2018 was beneficial for vine growth and an atypical heavy rain event in mid-January bought a recharge to the soil water just when needed. This was followed by fine, mild weather to get the vintage underway until mid-vintage when there were some minor rain events and humidity. Luckily, this was followed by beautiful weather until the end of April.
The fruit was hand-picked on the 11th March 2019.
The grapes were whole-bunch pressed and briefly settled before going to barrel for 100% wild ferment. Any secondary fermentation was prevented. The wine was then matured on lees for ten months in 38% new French barriques with batonnage used to enhance texture. The 2019 vintage is 57% Gin Gin clone the balance a selection of Dijon clones 277, 76 and 95.
• Creamy nougat, cashew and smokey oak characters on the nose
• Aroma framed by lemon, spiced pear, apple and lime
• Generous texture on the mid palate showing orange citrus, grapefruit
• Coated palate with a juicy concentration
• Interplay of fruit flavour, acid and oak provides a generous, balanced finish